Open Access is a movement that believes in there being no barriers to scholarly research for the worldwide community.
Why is Open Access important?
- When there are expensive barriers to scholarly articles, not all researchers are able to afford access and so may not be able to access information they may need.
- When the access to their own articles are too expensive, authors are not able to achieve the research impact they would like with their work as not many may be able to afford to access them.
- When there is low impact for their articles, publishers will also lose revenue as their impact factor will be low and not many authors would want to publish in a journal that not many can afford to access.
Benefits of Open Access
- Authors will be able to enjoy higher reach for their work which may lead to higher impact.
- Researchers who need access to scholarly materials but are unable to afford them have a chance to access these works and progress their research.
- Publishers will be able to maintain a high impact rating for their work and also maintain their reputation as a high quality scholarly material.
How can I support Open Access?
- By opting for Open Access options when publishing so that you can be a part of the movement. The most two common ways is following the Gold Open Access route or the Green Open Access route.
- One very simple way is to deposit your works in Open Access Repositories such as DR-NTU.